Saturday, 17 November 2012

Hee-haw

Give me a subject, any subject (but ideally Disney or Shakespeare) and I could talk about it for donkey’s years. 
Donkey's ears

I’d like to think I would be able to write about it for that long too, although I would probably want to go off into a gazillion tangents. From the word “donkey” alone,

I want to tell a series of bad jokes about the creatures; waffle about the meaning of “donkey’s years”; tell the dull story my mother tells about when she asked at school about the meaning of “donkey’s years” when she already knew the answer but wanted to go home; moan about however she tells this story whenever she comes across the words “donkey’s”, “years” or “both”; or just discuss Shrek. 

Shrek

However, when I want to write about “Heir of The Dog” (which is what I am supposed to be writing about) I just dry up. 


Maybe it is because it feels too much like a scholarly exercise [“Direct a play and then write about what you did”], or because there is so much to say, or because it has taken up so much of my life recently –which is a good thing- but I just don’t know where to begin. 

All tickets: £5 (of which 50p goes to The MS Society)

7.30pm on Tues 20th, Wed 21st and Thurs 22nd November 2012.
At The Dogstar, 389 Coldharbour Lane, London, SW9 8LQ.
(Nearest tube: Brixton).

Email: art.theatre.uk@gmail.com
Phone: 01865 512428


Reading previous posts on this blog gives me ideas for totally irrelevant things that I could write about [for example, Denholm’s blog reminds me of a news item about a Florida swinger’s club; 

Denholm Spurr
the Zeno’s paradox blog reminds me of Asterix

Asterix on his way to watch 'Heir of The Dog' , three plays Nov 20-22nd 
and the one about the orange reminded me of an old Sunday morning Lee & Herring show] but nothing specifically “Heir of The Dog” related. However, by the end of this sentence, I will have reached 315 words exactly so to quote Jo (Emilia’s character - 


Emilia is on the right
in “Call on Me”, the opening piece of “Heir of The Dog”): “we can both get on with our lives”.


HUGH ALLISON (Writer of Call on Me; co-producer; director)

No comments:

Post a Comment