Sunday, 4 November 2012

In Development



In my first blog, I used the three pieces in Heir of The Dog as examples of “pieces in development”.

I figured I should qualify this.

One of the most interesting things about how a company is run, be it a massive organisation such as Disney or an ad-hoc one such as this, is how opposing views and differing personalities, when embraced, can mean the end product becomes bigger than the sum of its parts. 

Now I am not comparing Chris and I to Disney, but using them as an example I don’t believe Michael Eisner and Frank Wells could done as much for Disney in their prime separately than they did together.

I am learning a lot from working with Chris, and I am only now beginning to learn the importance of a good partnership.  In part, both people need to see the other as an equal AS WELL AS THEMSELVES, but listening, trusting, respecting, knowing when to step down, knowing when to stand your ground, knowing when to admit mistakes… as I learn these skills, the end product improves exponentially.

I don’t want to give too many examples without getting into cock-sucking territory, but without Chris we would not have an MC, I would not have someone to bounce ideas off of, my enthusiasm never wanes, and I can give myself an extra push, whilst knowing I need never get snowed under with the admin work as I have an extra pair of hands to help me.

However, I am also learning that not all disagreements need to be resolved, which brings me back to my original point.

I see the three plays as being pieces in development, whilst Chris sees them as finished pieces. I see his point of view (they are to be presented as polished performances, with lines learnt, everything rehearsed in full etc.) and he sees my point of view (the pieces have been performed before with a different script, the writing is being developed as we go along, and the pieces are all to be performed again with a third script which will be highly influenced by what we find worked during the preparation, rehearsal and performance period of these performances).

I have no doubt that others involved have other opinions on this matter.  But no interpretation of this issue really matters; they may influence our approach but, as they are not mutually exclusive, the combination of approaches can only be a positive thing.  From Chris’s approach we get respect and professionalism; from mine, flexibility and additional chances of creativeness.

Happy November.

Hugh Allison, Director

No comments:

Post a Comment