Friday, 2 November 2012

The difficulty of blogging about theatre



Chris Sivewright (who is co-producing Heir of The Dog with me) has asked me to occasionally contribute to this blog discussing the progress of the show so far.

I am finding this blog a lot harder to write than I had thought…

I do not wish to write about the shows themselves on the most basic level, such as what the three shows are which Heir of The Dog consists of (Call on Me, Circles and Wonder) or when and where it is on (7.30pm at The Dogstar in Brixton, from 7.30pm, all three pieces on each night, Tues 20th, Wed 21st and Thurs 22nd Nov 2012) or the price (£5, of which 50p goes to The MS Society) as that would feel too much like an advert.

A brief description of the plays, including the theme of “God” and the actual plots, should be saved for the press releases, and a lengthier description would spoil the plot. Theatre should be full of surprises, be it for completely new plays, pieces in development (such as these) or an established piece.

Expanding on that last point, most people know what happens in Hamlet, but won’t necessarily know how a specific company might approach it, which cuts may be made, which personality traits will be played up, which themes may be reflected in the set, how the well-trodden speeches will be made fresh… the list is endless.

I am loath also to spoil the magic of theatre, even for those in the know. I would suggest that every single person (actor, director, designer, writer, assistant, techie…) goes about theatre slightly differently, both in theory and in practice.  The same person, with the same job title, in a different production – even of exactly the same play- would still have a different approach each time. Therefore, although sometimes I feel discussions about “process” are necessary, I feel that no-one need ever understand the full way one specific show was created, unless they were involved.  Even then, I don’t feel everyone in a show need (or even could) understand every last detail, myself very much included.

If I ever get to a point in my career where I can dictate contracts, I may demand a no-blogging-clause.  Until then, if I am ever asked to blog again (for a different show), I may just tweak the above.

Hugh Allison, Director

No comments:

Post a Comment