Monday, 5 November 2012

Within you, without you

I was watching the news today about the Obama victory - oh...am I jumping the gun? 

OK... I was watching the news today about Obama's forthcoming victory and I got to thinking about Bruce Springsteen's 'Born in the USA'. 

Some songs never date.

Another example is George Harrison's 'Within You, Without you'.

I looked it up on Youtube and I see the imaginatively titled 'Helterskelter' (a strange name for a poster of such a peaceful song) has posted this clip:





Great lyrics - have a look here

" And the time will come when you see
 we're all one, and life flows on within you and without you."

Great line.

Oasis also covered the song:




They are probably the only band that could have done the song justice.

But then that's just my opinion.

There's a bit of George Harrison's song in the play 'Wonder' too:

Try to realize it's all within yourself no-one else can make you change 
And to see you're really only very small, 
And life flows on within and without you ‘

I think it's probably the same with actors. 

Certain actors 'fit' certain plays. 

In the case of 'Wonder' there are four actors:

Stephen Cheriton (Demetrius in New Rep Company’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream)
Emilia Petryszyn (Lady Teazle in N1 Theatre Company’s The School for Scandal)
Denholm Spurr (John Keats in Pale Fire Theatre Company’s Romantics)
Louisa Tee (Anna in Opera Upclose’s Don Giovanni)


Not just 'anyone' could play these parts - and give the play such a mixture of gravitas and humour. 

Now that is not just 'my' opinion, Hugh, I am sure, shares it as well.

Why not come along and see the play 'Wonder' then you'll see if we're right? Actually you'll see that we are right, not 'if'. 

There's a very talented MC too - here's his showreel:




Truly an evening of stars - actually there's something in the play about stars...but I'll save that for another post.


'Wonder' is being performed here...in Brixton.

Here are the key dates:

All tickets: £5 (of which 50p goes to The MS Society )

7.30pm on Tues 20th, Wed 21st and Thurs 22nd November 2012.


Chris Sivewright Co-producer The Heir of The Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment